One of the first things you need to do to prepare for your move is to decide on a mover. When selecting a mover, always obtain a written cost estimate from each moving company. Fees for local moves, 50 miles or less, are usually determined on a hourly basis. Long distance moves generally are priced by load weight and mileage. For long distance moves, purchase protection at full value for each item being moved.
Thirty Days Before
- Determine what you’re going to move and start getting rid of everything else.
- Decide what you are going to pack yourself and what the movers will pack. The mover is not responsible for breakage of items you pack. Obtain packing cartons from the mover.
- Notify the post office of your new address. Fill out change of address cards.
- Gather medical and dental records for all family members.
- Notify schools and arrange to have transcripts and records forwarded to the new schools.
- Close local charge accounts.
- Arrange for transportation of pets if they do not tolerate long car trips well.
Two Weeks Before
- Start packing. Do a little at a time. Don’t try to do it all in a day or two.
- Return borrowed items and reclaim items borrowed from you.
- Arrange disconnect/connect dates with local utilities.
- Develop a floor plan to show the movers where you want your belongings placed in your new home.
One Week Before
- Dispose of all flammable materials. They shouldn’t be moved.
- Dismantle outdoor play or gym equipment and other items that go with you.
- Transfer bank accounts and contents of safe deposit box.
- Pack items you want to move yourself and mark “DO NOT MOVE.”
One Day Before
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and freezer; let the appliance air out for 24 hours.
- Finish packing personal items.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Strip beds, but leave fitted bottom sheets on mattresses.
- Be present to answer mover’s questions.
- Accompany movers through the house for an inventory of things to be moved.
- Keep children and pets out of the movers’ way.
- Confirm destination address with van operator.
- Also confirm date of delivery.
- Close all windows and turn off lights.
- Lock all doors.
- Look forward to enjoying your new home.